Join Paul Browning and his brother Andrew Browning – Obstetrician, Gynaecologist and Senior Fistula Surgeon in this episode of Accelerating Change as they explore how we should be preparing young people for the future.
We need to be grounded in something that is unchanging and have that as a rock, as our foundation.Andrew Browning
Listen now on your favourite podcast platform
In this episode of Accelerating Change, Dr Paul Browning speaks with Dr Andrew Browning AM, who is an Australian-trained obstetrician, gynaecologist and senior fistula surgeon.
In 2001, Andrew joined Dr Catherine Hamlin in her first fistula hospital in Ethiopia and five years later took charge of the first regional Hamlin Fistula hospital. In 2009 he started his own charity, the Barbara May Foundation, to take the work that the Hamlins had started out of Ethiopia to the rest of Africa, and focus more on fistula prevention.
Today, Andrew divides his time between Australia and Africa. He was named as a Member of the Order of Australia in 2019 in recognition of his outstanding contributions to improving maternal health care for women in poverty.
Andrew and Paul discuss the similarities and differences between the developed and developing world, how to stay grounded in an era of accelerating change, and whether there is hope for the future.
- “The hospital by the river”, by Catherine Hamlin, https://www.booktopia.com.au/the-hospital-by-the-river-catherine-hamlin/book/9781743537817.html
- “Healing Lives”, by Sue Williams, https://store.hamlin.org.au/products/healinglives
- “Thank you for Being Late: an Optimist’s Guide to Thriving in the Age of Accelerations”, by Thomas L. Friedman, https://www.amazon.com.au/Thank-You-Being-Late-Accelerations/dp/0374273537
- “A Doctor in Africa”, by Dr Andrew Browning, https://www.panmacmillan.com.au/9781760983017/
Table of Contents
- 2:40 – Andrew Browning’s background and expertise
- 11:30 – the challenges of running a hospital in a developing nation
- 14:40 – Reverse culture shock
- 19:00 – Happiness, loneliness and consumerism
- 24:00 – Are kids over-protected in Australia?
- 28:00 – Where is the world heading and how do we stay grounded?
- 28:00 – Andrew’s book and his life’s journey
CONNECT WITH PAUL BROWNING
Visit >> www.acceleratingchange.com.au
LinkedIn >> https://www.linkedin.com/in/pauldbrowning/
CONNECT WITH ANDREW BROWNING
LinkedIn >> https://www.linkedin.com/in/andrew-browning-3a9a81207/